VIDA! Health & Wellness has merged with CommUNITY Wellness!
CommUNITY Wellness is a community-based program that aims to reduce the risk of childhood obesity by promoting healthy habits related to physical activity, healthy eating, sleep, and emotional well-being.
CommUNITY Wellness originally launched in San Antonio in 2019 at multi-family affordable housing communities. The program was designed to unify people and empower them to practice healthy habits alongside family, friends, and neighbors. Now, CommUNITY Wellness is a family workshop offered once a month through the Partnership for Los Angeles Schools for families who reside in the areas of Boyle Heights, South LA, and Watts Los Angeles. The CommUNITY Wellness program is available throughout the school year, and is currently being offered virtually, as a resource for participants to learn the tools necessary to live a healthy lifestyle
CommUNITY Wellness reduces the risk of childhood obesity by promoting healthy habits. The program helps both adult and youth participants to improve their eating habits, sleep quantity and quality, and emotional well-being, as well as increase physical activity.
- 90% of participants stated that program expectations were met
- 93% of participants would recommend to others and repeat participation in the program
- Results show a BMI decrease across adult participants
- The anthropometric variables are measured show most adults improved their weight status
- After completing the program, participants felt better about their overall health in general
- Participants reported building better relationships with neighbors and housing management