VIDA! Health and Wellness is a community-based program that aims to reduce the risk of childhood obesity by promoting healthy habits related to physical activity, healthy eating, sleep, and emotional well-being.
VIDA! is a family workshop offered once a month for families who reside in the areas of Boyle Heights, South LA, and Watts Los Angeles. The VIDA! Health & Wellness program is available throughout the school year, and is currently being offered virtually, as a resource for participants to learn the tools necessary to live a healthy lifestyle.
The VIDA! program reduces the risk of childhood obesity by promoting healthy habits. VIDA! helps both adult and youth participants to improve their eating habits, sleep quantity and quality, and emotional well-being, as well as increase physical activity.
- Children decreased their screen time during the weekends by 35.7 minutes
- Most children have either maintained or improved their sleep hours for weekdays and weekends
- Most children have either maintained or improved their emotional well-being
- 49.2% of adults in VIDA! improved their weight status
- Adults improved their physical activity levels
- The anthropometric variables measured indicate the reduction in prevalence of abdominal obesity in children
- The anthropometric variables measured indicate the prevalence of obesity was lowered for both children and adults